Puppy Preschool is an important first step in socialising your puppy and ensuring they start out on the right paw to becoming a well adjusted and well behaved member of your family.
The critical socialisation window for pups is from 3 to 15 weeks of age. This window is the period when dogs learn how to socially interact with other dogs and with people other than immediate family members. It is widely accepted that if dogs are exposed to this experience they are much less likely to suffer anxieties & phobias, inter-dog aggression and anti social behaviour as adults.Because of this, we encourage all owners with puppies to attend whether this is your first puppy or your tenth puppy.
Although puppies that attend are not fully vaccinated it is imperative that we expose these little guys to other dogs, people and situations in a safe and controlled environment.
This is where Puppy Preschool comes in!
Our program uses only positive reinforcement training techniques as recommended by the Australian Veterinary Association. As well as focusing on the puppies, their owners will also be educated with up to date training techniques, medical recommendations and be given the tools to develop a strong bond with their puppy. You will be taught how to ‘think like a dog’ by understanding their body language and appreciate the reactions of the pups. Owners will obtain invaluable information to help guide their fur baby in the right direction.
Classes are run over a 4-week course in a clean and disinfected environment. Treats are provided. The classes are taught by our Registered Senior Nurse Jodie who has undergone additional Education and Training in behaviour and has over 18 years of nursing experience.
Some things you will learn:
- Bridge marking and rewarding
- Body language of dogs
- Understand how dogs learn
- Play in a safe and controlled environment
- Verbal cues such as ‘sit / look / drop / come / calm / stay’ and more J
- Discussions on independence training and the importance of alone time
- Advice on toilet training and mouthing
- Basic medical care / toxic foods / first aid
- Helps the puppy feel comfortable at the hospital and enjoy coming to the vets AND MORE!
Call us and speak to reception for more information or class timetables.
IMPORTANT COVID UPDATE:
During the current NSW Lockdown we are currently unable to run in-person classes. Instead we are offering a virtual Puppy Preschool package which includes:
- In-depth PowerPoint with commentary of the course
- Video links and training videos to watch
- One on One phone call with our Puppy Preschool teacher Jodie to start you off with your training sessions and trouble shooting advice
For more information please do not hesitate to call and speak to Jodie herself.